What is Canine Diabetes Mellitus?
Diabetes results when a dog's pancreas fails to produce enough insulin. Sugars build up in the bloodstream rather than enter the body’s tissues where they would otherwise provide energy. (This is why diabetic dogs are often lethargic.)
Excess sugar in a dog's bloodstream can lead to several other conditions, including heart, liver and kidney disease, increased infections, slow healing, cataracts, blindness, etc.
Risk factors for dog diabetes include:
- Poor diet (high carbohydrate kibble)
- Steroid treatments
- Diestrus (several cycles in one breeding season)
- Genetic predisposition
Diabetes is more common in:
- Female dogs
- Pets fed a strictly dry kibble diet
- Overweight dogs
- Middle-aged and older canines
Common symptoms of dog diabetes mellitus include:
- Increased thirst, frequent urination
- Weakness, lethargy
- Signs of pain in the abdomen
- Cataracts (eyes cloudy rather than clear)
- Weight loss
- Muscle wasting
Diagnosing and Treating Dog Diabetes
If you think your dog might have diabetes, you should take him to a vet. A veterinarian can diagnose canine diabetes mellitus by examining sugar levels in the dog's blood and urine.
A recommended lifestyle change usually includes a healthy species appropriate diet. If your dog is overweight, you should help him lose weight gradually through diet and increased exercise but keep in mind that strenuous exercise can increase insulin levels so ensure exercise is consistent and moderate. Conventional treatment may also include regular injections of insulin.
What is Blood Sugar Gold?
Our unique formula has been developed by our holistic veterinarians to support stable blood sugar levels in dogs. Using effective herbs for blood sugar maintenance, it also contains herbs to support liver and eye health. Used consistently over time, Blood Sugar Gold may assist your dog's body to maintain healthier blood sugar levels.
If your veterinarian wants to know more about this product - download the Professional References.
What is Blood Sugar Gold Used For?
Blood Sugar Gold may be used in tandem with other protocols for maintaining healthy canine blood sugar levels. It is imperative to monitor blood sugar levels closely when using natural products that have an affect on blood sugar. Natural products can be surprisingly effective. How quickly your canine responds will be unique, and it is extremely important that blood sugar levels stay within a healthy range.
High blood sugar, as a primary health problem, causes a number of secondary problems to occur, as previously discussed. These include weight gain, thirst and hunger, among others. Once the primary issue begins to stabilize, the secondary issues may also begin to improve.
Before you begin administering Blood Sugar Gold to your dog, please read and follow the cautions .
Can My Dog Take Blood Sugar Gold with Medications?
Blood Sugar Gold may heighten the effect of blood-sugar-lowering drugs. Monitor blood sugar levels closely if administering the product with blood-sugar-lowering drugs. A veterinarian can help to ensure optimal blood sugar levels are maintained. Please feel free to print the Blood Sugar Gold Professional Reference and bring it to your next vet appointment, in case your vet has questions about the product.
An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to taking this product.
Does it Come With a Guarantee?
Yes! Blood Sugar Gold comes with a 90 day money-back guarantee.
Why Choose Blood Sugar Gold for Your Canine Friend?
- Certified organic and ethically wild-harvested: Our formulas are entirely prepared from organically grown and wild-harvested herbs.
- Good Manufacturing Practices: All of our formulas are manufactured in a facility that adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Full Spectrum Extract: The full biochemical spectrum of the herbs is preserved to ensure the potency of the extract. All raw materials are tested for identification and purity.
- Every batch tested: Every batch of our Blood Sugar Gold is tested to ensure the highest quality and potency. Every single batch.
- FDA-Registered Facility: Our manufacturing facility is FDA-registered. Strict quality control procedures are meticulously monitored.
- FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine Guidelines: PetWellbeing.com complies with the provisions of the CVM's good guidance practices for pet dietary supplements. All ingredients and caution statements adhere to these national guidelines.
- It's Guaranteed: In addition to the superior quality of our products, you are also protected by our 90-day money-back guarantee.
Who Makes Blood Sugar Gold?
Blood Sugar Gold is made by PetWellbeing.com, founded in 2001. Our goal? To bring the wisdom and experience of our caring holistic veterinarians to your pet. When your pet is healthy; you're happy.
To fulfill our vision, our on-staff, holistic veterinarians have developed formulas using time-honored, traditional uses of herbs, and integrated the latest scientific research. It is our aim to produce the best products for your pet that we can.
How to Administer Blood Sugar Gold
Administer product orally twice daily. Give one drop for every 2 lb (1kg) of body weight up to 50 lb. Over 50 lb, add one drop per additional 4 lb (2kg).
BEST way to give drops! Add to food. Add drops to a small portion of a favourite food or treat and ensure the entire amount is consumed.
Shake well before use. Does not require refrigeration.
We know animals can be finicky! Blood Sugar Gold is enhanced with delicious natural bacon flavor. We recommend administration of the drops in a way that your dog will like best.
Use With Caution
Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has not been proven.
If animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian. An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to using this product. Product may be hypoglycemic. May heighten the effect of blood-sugar-lowering drugs. Monitor blood sugar levels closely if administering this product with blood sugar lowering drugs. A veterinarian can help to ensure optimal blood sugar levels are maintained.
Blood Sugar Gold is Formulated With:
- Devil's Club root bark (Oplopanax horridum): This indigenous North American herb has multiple uses. Maintenance of normal blood sugar levels is one of its most powerful applications. It has also been used traditionally by First Nations Peoples for the respiratory system, for joints, the digestive system and as a general health tonic.
- Gymnema leaf (Gymnema sylvestre): With the addition of this herb to our formula, there is specific support to the beta cells of the pancreas and also to maintain healthy blood sugar levels immediately following consumption of food.
- Fenugreek seed (Trigonella foenum-graecum): A seed used extensively in India for health and nutrition, recent studies concur that healthy liver and insulin levels may be linked with regular ingestion.
- Burdock root (Arctium lappa): Supportive to both liver health and glycemic levels, Burdock root serves a dual purpose in this formula. In addition, it is also antioxidant and antibacterial. Burdock is one of the chief "blood purifiers" in traditional medicine, owing to its liver, digestive and lymphatic support.
- Goat's Rue herb (Galega officinalis): Used and grown in Europe for hundreds of years, this herb may allow the body to better tolerate carbohydrates. It is also one of the main plants used for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. Its secondary ability to support the liver makes it a valuable addition to this formula.
- Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale): Although both leaves and root of the Dandelion are used, we use only the root in this formula. The root is considered to be a pancreatic regulator, stimulating both the pancreatic duct as well as the bile duct. Dandelion supports portal circulation and aids digestion.
- Bilberry fruit (Vaccinium officinalis): Rich in anthocyanins, these berries are considered a wonderful food source of antioxidants. The extract is known to affect the tiny blood vessels that supply the eyes. It also shows specific action in maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
...491 mg per ml (20 drops / ml)
Herbs are certified organic or ethically wild-harvested.
- Deionized water
- Natural bacon flavor
- Vegetable glycerin
Meet Dr. Janice Huntingford
Janice Huntingford, DVM, has been in veterinary practice for 28 years and has founded two veterinary clinics since receiving her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine at the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph. She has studied extensively in both conventional and holistic modalities.